What is a Hallmark?
A hallmark is an authority stamp found on valuable metal(s) that demonstrates the sythesis of the metal and its immaculateness. Hallmarks may likewise incorporate significant data about the maker and beginning. According to BIS rules, a Hallmark comprises of four obligatory advances. As of late the date letter has become discretionary while the rest stay obligatory as expressed underneath. Valuable metals are once in a while utilized in its most flawless structure and are typically alloyed with different metals for functionality, strength, wearability. It is beyond the realm of imagination to expect to distinguish an article’s valuable metal substance by sight or contact. In this manner, it is a standard necessity for an Assaying and Hallmarking (A&HC) to hallmark articles containing valuable metal(s) in the event that they are depicted accordingly. Generally hallmarks are applied by hitting with a punch. They are presently additionally carved utilizing lasers.
Valuable metals utilized in jewellary and giftware make are constantly utilized as a compound. The valuable metal should be blended in with different components to give it the fundamental properties like adaptability to create an attractive and strong article. Indeed, even the most experienced diamond setter or scientist can’t tell how much valuable metal there is in an amalgam by locate or correspondingly recognize items that contain a thick plating of gold covering a base metal inside. In this way, to the greatest advantage of diamond setters and purchasers, all things being sold as gold (14, 18 or 22 carat) in India should be hallmarked to adjust to the BIS standard. This is impossible by the producer or merchant; articles should be submitted to one of the BIS affirmed Hallmarking Centers in India.
The Standard Mark
This shows the fineness of the metal – that is purity of the precious metal content in parts per thousands in relation to the standard recognized in India. For example, 750 parts per thousand by weight is equivalent to the prior 18 carat gold standard. The alloy must be at least 750 parts per thousand to be marked as such. There is no negative tolerance.
Hallmarking is done on jewellery from jeweler partners based on hallmarking request as per BIS prescribed format. The Assaying & Hallmarking center will consists of following steps.
1. 100% XRF (X-Ray Fluorescence Spectrometry) testing process, the Gold refining industry’s international standard, to precisely determine pure metal content.
2. Sampling, a traditional method to use a tiny piece of the precious metal for testing, after ensuring homogeneity.
3. Assaying to ensure the content of the precious metal meets the required standards.
4. Hallmarking, an appropriate mark with code of the jeweller, assaying certification mark, purity of Gold, and BIS logo.
Certifications & Accreditations
A BIS Standard of Hallmark includes these symbols:
- Who made the article
- What is its guaranteed standard of fineness
- The A&HC at which the article was tested and marked
- The year in which the article was tested and marked (Optional)
- BIS Logo